guide to ride

At Horton Motorcycles we are always happy to talk you through what you need to do to get your Motorcycle Licence. Below, we have compiled some information that we think will be useful for you to read. 

If you have held a Motorcycle or Moped Licence since the 19th January 2013 there are different rules. You will need to own a Provisional Licence and have completed your Compulsory Basic Training (CBT).

The CBT is an easy 1 Day Course, where you will be shown the basics on Road Safety and How To Ride. This lasts 2 Years, and if you haven’t completed your Full Test in this time you will have to take it again.

To ride a Motorcycle above a 125cc you must have completed your CBT and have a Full Licence. Some of the rules vary depending on your age as to what size bikes you can ride.

To ride a Moped up to a 50cc you must be aged 16 or over and have completed a CBT. In order to ride a 125cc Moped or Motorbike, you must be 17 or over and have also completed your CBT. There are some exceptions to this if you have a Car Driving Licence.

Learning to ride:

In order to begin Learning to Ride, you will need to ensure that the Provisional Licence you have is correct. You can use your own vehicle to take lessons and Learn to ride, but there are a few things that you will need. Please ensure that you take with you:

  • Your Log Book (V5C Registration).
  • Proof the Vehicle is Taxed.
  • You May Need Proof that the Vehicle has a Valid MOT.
  • You’ll Need Adequate Motor Insurance.

Official Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA) Guides:

You can buy the Official DVSA Guide To Learning To Ride and the DVSA Guide To Riding – The Essential Skills

Taking the Full Motorcycle Test:

All Riders have to take and pass their Theory Test before taking the Motorcycle Practical Test

Enhanced Rider Scheme:

Once you’ve passed your Motorcycle Test you can take the Enhanced Rider Scheme. It checks your riding skills and provides additional training to help your riding improve. This scheme is a useful addition as successfully taking this Scheme can provide you discounts on your Motorbike Insurance. 

Need More Information?

If you would like any more information visit the Government Website.  Alternatively, you can come visit us in our Showroom in Sutton Coldfield, or leave us a message using the Contact Form below, where a member of the Horton Motorcycles Team will help answer any questions you may have.